What is Manning's Pit?
Manning's Pit is the name
given to a field at the edge of Pilton, a village that
is now joined to Barnstaple in North Devon. The name is
also used to describe the area made up adjoining fields
that are part of the Bradiford Valley.
When the Pilton Estate was sold in 1849, the
field we now know as Manning's Pit was a part of a larger
field, or collection of fields, called Northfields, or
North Field, but by the beginning of the twentieth
century, if not well before, it was called Manning's Pit
Where is Manning's Pit?
Manning's Pit is on the north west side of
Pilton, and the field that bears this name is bordered by
Windsor Road and Lynbro Road. A footpath runs through it,
down from Lynbro Road to the Manning's Pit bridge, and
across Clothesline Meadow, the field beyond, to Anchor
Mill. This footpath was used in Victorian times by
those who worked or had business at the Mill.
|Screen shot of Google map of
Pilton in the present time, text added to
show location of Mannng's Pit, Manning's Pit
bridge and the Lynbro Road entrance.
Saki, F R Lee and the Hibberts lived in
|Bellaire, Pilton, in Saki's
time, the red cross shows Broadgate Villa
where Saki lived, (the Broadgate Estate
where F R Lee and the Hibberts lived
is coloured brown. ) The blue arrow points
to Manning's Pit Bridge
Why is it called Manning's
It seems virtually certain that the field
became known as Manning's Pit for two reasons. The first
is its association with Benjamin Manning and his family
business (they leased it) the second the fact that there
was a quarry - a Pit - at the bottom of the field.
Who was Benjamin Manning?